Wednesday, October 3, 2012

report from greece

It's so hard to compare Italy and Greece. They are totally different and unique from each other. I will say that Greece felt a little more relaxing. Maybe because we stayed on the island of Santorini for a whole week or maybe because we had the best.hotel.ever, but whatever the reason, Santorini stole my heart.

We stayed at the Anastasia Princess, which might be my favorite hotel I've ever stayed at. The best thing about it is that it's run by two brothers, Stavros and Lefteris, who treat you like family and bend over backwards to make your stay the best possible. We had such a good time getting to know them. They were great and, at this moment, are probably drinking Frappes, which is a very famous coffee drink in Greece. They loved those things!

 Santorini is big and the easiest (and most fun) way to get around is to rent a quad. We had this baby for two days and cruised all around the island. Anders was like a kid on Christmas. 

Although we stayed on the quiet side of the island in Perissa, we rode quads to the busy capitol of Fira and went shopping, and we had to stop for a drink simply for the view!

In Fira, we found a fish spa. I had tried this once before when I was in Thailand, so I had to make Anders and our friends try it too! You put your feet in these tanks and lots of little fish eat the dead skin off your feet. It tickles like crazy.


There was a lot of amazing food in Santorini, but I became obsessed with the Santa Irini bakery in Perissa. They had this bread baked with tomato paste and spicy pepperoni that I loved. I ate it three times and even made Anders go with me before we left for the airport!

Swimming in Amoudi Bay and watching the sunset in Oia was another highlight. However, be careful of the restaurant  prices in this town. We actually saw a lobster on a menu for 95 euros ($122).


With all the places there are to visit in the world, it's hard to go back to the same places. However, I can definitely see myself returning to this island. Santorini was such a perfect compliment to Italy. I loved it!

1 comment:

  1. Santorini is truly one of the best destinations in the world! I like to think that I can come there one day and live in a beautiful apartment in Athens https://tranio.com/greece/attica/athens/apartments/ I love that they keep all the houses on Santorini in style, it makes the island almost a sacred place with its own unique atmosphere

    ReplyDelete