Friday, June 29, 2012

trader sarah


Speaking of totally stealing ideas, Anders and I love this pre-made grain salad that you can find at Trader Joe's. I was eating one the other day, and I just happened to glance down at the ingredients. I realized that I had everything on hand at home, and I could very well make this salad myself (and better too because we all know they skimp on ingredients at the store!). Also, major props to Trader Joe's for having a salad with ingredients I could pronounce.

Trader Sarah's Grain Salad
Makes 1 large salad

Salad:
1.5 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup of cooked bulgur* (cooled completely)
1/3 cup of garbanzo beans (I cooked my own, but feel free to use canned)
6 cherry tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup cucumber, chopped
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
1 tbs dill
salt and pepper to taste

Dressing:
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
2 tbs plus 1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin

Directions:
Simply combine all salad ingredients in a bowl and toss until incorporated. Add salad dressing ingredients to a jar and shake well. Add to salad and mix to combine. Enjoy!

*I cooked my bulgur in a rice cooker. I used 1 cup of dried bulgur to 1.5 cups of water and this gave me around 3 cups of cooked bulgur, so I had a lot leftover for future salads or other recipes. If you don't want leftovers, feel free to reduce the amount you cook. If you don't have a rice cooker,  just add the bulgur and water to a saucepan, bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment